It's my pleasure to introduce to you an Internationally renowned Classical Singer from the Province of Bukidnon who happened to be the person who influence me to live and love the world of classical music.


Marya Eliza Deeda Barretto received her Diploma in the Creative and Performing Musical Arts with a Major in Voice from the University of the Philippines Conservatory of Music. She is a recipient of the Grand Prize in the "Kundiman Fiesta;" both the "Mary Garden International Prize" and the "Dorothy Hately Audience Prize" in Aberdeen, Scotland in 1997; and the Outstanding Student Artist for achievement in the international scene in 1998. She performed as a soloist in recitals, concerts, productions of opera, Filipino Zarsuela, special shows, and masses around the Philippines, Korea, China, Japan, the USA and Europe. 


A photo of Deeda Barretto during the pictorial of "Harana" concert produced by the Philippine Opera Company. 
Deeda Barretto during a concert in Las Pinas church, Manila.


I know personally Deeda Barretto because she is the older sister of my painting mentor and her parents are also my friends. I first met her in 2005 during her Christmas concert in Balay Malay Center (their family's mini museum in Malaybalay) and I recall I was invited by my painting mentor (Chico Barretto) to watch her because my mentor knew I was also into singing. I remembered that she sounded like a bird when she performed the allegro version of the Philipppine folk song "Sa Kabukiran" and her breathtaking and dramatic interpretations of the inspirational song "The Light of a Million Mornings". The last time I met her was in 2008 when she again performed in the anniversary of the Monastery of Transfiguration together with the Philippine Madrigal Singers. Deeda is a great influence to me, her techniques in singing and her personality.